Thursday, July 15, 2010

Corrupt speech

I have been blessed with a cubicle that is comfortable and reasonably large. It gives me the privacy and security I need to work well. Also, it gives me sufficient ‘wall’ space to pin up my favorite bible verses.

-----------------------------------------------

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth,
But that which is good to the use of edifying
That it may minister grace unto the hearers.
(Ephesians 4:29)

Whenever I am tempted to complain, or to speak harshly to my colleagues, I just have to look at this verse. It says very clearly that words that should proceed out of our mouths should only be for the use of:

1) Edifying – instruct or benefit
2) Minister grace


Nowhere in this verse does it say, use your words to:

1) Point out the flaws of others
2) Complain
3) Speak maliciously about others
4) Make jokes about others


Well, I am not perfect. And I do complain sometimes. But at least now I know that these are my moments of infirmities. God does not condemn me for these infirmities. I am only human and humans are imperfect.

However, God would really rather prefer that I not complain and become fault finding and narrow minded but rather, gracious, thankful and helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment