Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Where's the soul?

Taken from today's Today (Voices - letter from Raymond Lo)

Where's the soul? - Elderly man robbed while in distress

In his May Day message, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong called on Singaporeans to work together to sustain growth.

I would say it is equally important that Singapores must have a soul in them.

My life-threatening experience on Feb 21 showed otherwise, alas. Not only was I - as a 71-year old taxi driver - ignored by passers-by when I lay on the grass verge at Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10 for about half an hour. I was also robbed of my night's driving income in my distress.

I was subsequently hospitalised three days for a suspected heart attack.

Such uncaring and unconcerned attitudes must change, and fast, so Singapore can be known as a caring society.


We must start a culture of caring for people from a very young age, reinforce this value at pre-school age, and continue through tertiary education.

If we acquire a caring culture, our future will be secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment