Thursday, September 24, 2009

In Conflict

As a teacher I must acknowledge the importance of discipline.

Do not withhold discipline from a child,
If you punish him with a rod, he will not die.
(Proverbs 23:13)

Discipline is a lot like a net... If you really wish to enforce it, you need to have a flawless net... One tiny hole and it is ruined... The hole will only grow larger with time and before you know it, you will lose even the good ones...

The good and disciplined students need to be praised and appreciated, or they too will slip out of the net.

=================================================

But I am in conflict. As a firm believer of grace... It is so deeply ingrained in me that we must forgive and love in order to let the child grow... But now I believe that nothing can be worse than overly pampering a child. Remember that the child is young and his moral values are not well formed yet. If he cannot find the leadership he needs in his parents or teachers, he will look for other sources (bullies and gangsters)... Frightening eh?

Therefore discipline is important... If you really love your child or student, you will discipline him... You got to firmly knock in the values in his head such that he will develop a voice that will hold him back from doing wrong when he tempted... Such a voice in the head cannot come just like that... it needs to be drummed in...

Once the discipline is set, this is when grace comes in... As a leader, you need to be able to distinguish genuine errors from errors that conducted deliberately due to disregard... The latter must be addressed firmly.. The former should be dealt with grace.... If you forgive a genuine offense... you will win the person over.. But you if choose to punish him for something that is not his fault, you will lose him... Therefore, it is not a light matter... Think carefully before executing punishment...

===============================================

I have to toughen up and train myself to be a firm and strict teacher... It is not about me... Personally, I don't like the new me.. The one who won't hesitate to pick on your flaws, point at you and stare at you... But this is the person I have to become in order to ensure that my students learn well.. To train them into better people.. To be the leader they need... I need to be a figure of authority that is worthy of respect before they would consider coming to me when they have a problem... If I keep smiling and appearing weak and relaxed all the time, they will definitely hesitate before coming to me... They might even choose bad company over me...

Therefore, NO time to lose... The change must start NOW!!

================================================

Dear heavenly Father,

I pray that you bless me with the wisdom I need
To be a good teacher, fighter, Training partner, daughter and friend.
I know very well that you can work without me.
But I have come to learn also that you empower people
and place them in positions to make a difference.
And I want to make this positive difference.

Therefore dear Lord, I pray for the wisdom and patience
That is required not only to handle the students,
but also the staff and many training partners.
Some of my training mates are as young or even younger
than my students.
It is hard for me to switch roles.
I fear that I might end up hurting them
Or worse hurting the atmosphere at the training area.
Please bless me with the wisdom and favour I need.

I commit everything in your hands dear Lord.
This is not an easy time for me.
I am always tired and I find it hard to be alert and vigilant at all times.
I find it hard to drag myself to training after a hard day's work.
I find it hard to wake up every morning
Knowing I have to spend my day shouting at students.
I find it very difficult to tolerate the attitude problem
Of some of the people around me
My patience is coming to its limit.

And yet, I have been through much worse.
And you have kept me alive.
This is why I am confident.
This is why i am not afraid
Thank you dear Lord!!

In Jesus's name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment